Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fine Tec Watercolours

A couple of weeks ago we went to an art art store and bought one thing we have never used before to learn something new.
Fine Tec 600 watercolour set
Although I an quite familiar with watercolours, this Fine Tec set really intrigued me as I have never seen iridescent sparkly watercolours and had no idea how they would look on paper. So I bought the set and started thinking about the subject of my next painting that could showcase this medium.
Malvina: my inspiration
This is Malvina. She is a character in an old Russian movie for kids, based on Pinocchio. I thought that a portrait of her would be quite suitable for the medium.  I wanted to make her almost doll-like and cute, but with a coldness and sadness about her that leaves the viewer uneasy.

Pencil underlay of the painting
Resulting painting

Closeup: you can see the purple and gold iridescent details in the hair and eyes
Verdict about the Fine Tec iridescent watercolours: very nice although not readily noticeable effect that works best over dark/saturated colours. It was nice to see that the six iridescent colours were indeed quite different from each other when applied on paper.

Next, I would like to try to paint a winter landscape I think that those colours would look great on a subject like that.










No comments:

Post a Comment